Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Insomnia

© 2009 Karen Van Fossan, written at 3:44 a.m.

Once, not long ago, there lived a rosy, young woman. She loved nothing more in life than her apple tree. In Spring, she pressed her cheeks to the sweet, tender blossoms. In Summer, she danced in the moonlight with the shadow of her tree. In Autumn, she gathered bushels of the red, nourishing fruit.

In spite of her love of apples – or perhaps because of it – one particular Autumn, she couldn't sleep. “Crud!” she said, again and again. “It's 3:44 a.m., and I'm awake.”

At about the same time, there lived a purposeful, middle-aged woman. How she loved to run! In Spring, she liked to sprint among the tulips along her walk. In Summer, she went jogging between the tall and reaching daisies. In Autumn, she hurdled playfully over the asters.

In spite of her love of running – or perhaps because of it – one particular Autumn, she couldn't sleep. “Shoot!” she said, again and again. “It's 3:44 a.m., and I'm awake.”

At about the same time, there lived a powerful, elderly woman. She had been making pictures since she was three or four years old, and she had no intention of stopping now. In Spring, she filled her canvas with sweet, tender apple blossoms. In Summer, she painted lanky clumps of daisies in the garden. In Autumn, she put the final stroke on a portrait of herself.

In spite of her love of painting – or perhaps because of it – one particular Autumn, she couldn't sleep. “Glory!” she said, again and again. “It's 3:44 a.m., and I'm awake.”

I wonder, dear readers – can you help?

7 comments:

Steve F. said...

Hey, Karen! Use your Yoga breathing techniques. It works for me, and I've had four root canals in the last six weeks! :) - Steve

Karen Van Fossan said...

Four root canals in the last six weeks? Is that legal???

Thanks for the Yogi advice. Here's hoping!

Unknown said...

Melatonin. A good book. Socks on feet. Cozy pants. Memory pillow. zzzzzzzzzzz!

blogslut said...

Have you told Kai about this problem? She would LOVE to help...

Unknown said...

it sounds like these women should get together and have a slumber party! I'm often awake at 3:44 so I can join in....

louise said...

Brings to my mind the poem by Rumi about not going back to sleep. So, stretch, breathe, leap, yawn and embrace the time before the DAWN...

Kristi said...

When I can't sleep I find that laying there knowing I can't sleep makes it even harder to sleep. So I get up and paint or edit photos, do something I enjoy and that isn't stressful, until I am distracted and sleepy and then I go to sleep.